Thursday 4 October 2012

Treasure Island

Hello everyone

Today I would like to share a card with you that came about because I had been trying out a newly discovered technique in my Craft Artist software.

As many of you will already know, sometimes the technique of paper piecing can be used as a means of "colouring" an area of a rubber stamped image, or even the whole rubber stamped image.  So when I was asked whether it was possible to digitally paper piece a digital stamp I couldn't rest until I had found a way to do just that.  Another member of my group Serif Craft Artist Users Group, and the lady who first asked the question, also set about finding a way of doing this too.

I practised on a number of digital stamps, trying out ways to do it, and I found that using Zoe's first method to be the easiest way for me.

So the little pirate on this card has been coloured in totally by digital paper piecing.  The stamp is from Pollycrafts and was one of a number of her stamps on a free cd I got with a papercrafting magazine last year.






There are a number of advantages to using digital paper piecing in Craft Artist, one of them being that once you have done the initial paper piecing, it becomes extremely easy to change the papers to different ones without having to start again from the beginning.  Another advantage is that once you have completed the paper piecing it is also possible to take this a step further and add 3-D effects, which is exactly what I did with the little pirate's boots.  I also gave the buckle on his belt a gold effect, although this doesn't show up particularly well on the photograph.  And even Polly the Parrot was digitally paper pieced to colour her!

All the other elements on this little card came from various digikits.

The challenge at Crafty Ann's Challenge Blog this fortnight is to make a project inspired by a film title.  Well, as I always think of "Treasure Island" whenever I look at this card, I thought I would enter it into this challenge.  Though I do think this cute little pirate is a bit too nice to actually be Long John Silver!

Thankyou for calling in.

Catherine x


2 comments:

  1. This is really lovely Catherine, and I do agree with you about the digital paper piecing. I digitally paper pieced a butterfly in photoshop (before I had CAP) then played around with bevel & emboss etc and by the time I'd finished it looked like it was enamelled. It works just as well (and is easier) in CAP too. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Ann's with this way-too-cute-to-be-a-pirate, pirate!
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant Catherine and could save so much time. I am hoping to have a little play at the weekend if I get up to date with my commissions so watch this space x

    ReplyDelete